Tuesday, February 25, 2014

If all chemistry was like this, I'd win the Nobel Prize

So you may be wondering what area of chemistry I'm talking about? Could it be the reactions that occur within the body in the science of biochemistry? Or the study of elements based on carbon in organic chemistry? No, it's the study of something that makes all people happy, food! Unless food means pickles. That would only cause misery.

I have to give credits to a classmate for stumbling on this through her attempts of making chocolate for Valentine's Day! Check out the original blog post at http://ch-e-mis-t-ry.tumblr.com/ Because if food itself doesn't help your forget about Valentine's Day, just try thinking of the science of the food.

So the process my friend describes as so painstakingly is tempering! A process in which chocolate is heated to a perfect temperature to make the delicious junk food. Food is definitely an art! Well if you don't do the process right, your chocolates will end up pretty far from Godiva quality. I know Godiva quality far too well from experience... In the post, she advises to keep the chocolate at a constant temperature. Ever wonder why? Well I think I know! From learning bonding in chemistry, I know when you change the amount of heat, the movement of molecules varies which can cause problems in keeping bonds! So keep a constant temperature so they resemble chocolate and not something else...

She also mentions not adding oil because this will cause the molecules to separate. That makes complete sense, for these new substances such as oil, introduce new molecules which will bond with the chocolate molecules. Therefore rather than having chocolate to chocolate bonds (excuse my very basic naming of molecules) the bonds are separated into oil and chocolate!

Even though it may require a lot of effort to make chocolate, I'm proud to say I can eat chocolate without any effort!


No comments:

Post a Comment