Thursday, May 29, 2014

Flying By in a Racecar

Is how I get to school. No, I wish. Somehow I'd still manage to be late. Well anyway I found this video which tests your hearing by using different sound frequencies!

I was playing this video, and I thought, "Wow! This sounds like I'm in a racecar!" Anyway I wondered why the frequency of the wave mattered in correspondence to the pitch of the sound. Thanks for the information from here. So everyone knows (or at least I hope) that sound is made by a series of vibrations. This is really what your vocal chords do when you talk. 

As you saw in the video from the animation, a greater frequency corresponded to a higher pitch and vice versa. This is why if you play a string instrument, the string is shortest during a high pitch note since it vibrates faster whereas a long string is used to play a note with a low pitch taking long for the whole object to vibrate.

People who are trained in music have been capable of noticing a difference of 2 Hz in a sound wave. In case you didn't know, that's very small. And if you are a music nerd thinking "Wow I'm a special!" well distinguishing between sound waves doesn't really count for anything in life. So good for you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment