Thursday, March 13, 2014

Battle to the death: Me vs. fog machine

As I sit at music rehearsal and continue to be attack by fog, why not blog about it for chemistry? Because special effects are really special if they give you health complications. Am I losing sight or is this just a really good fog machine? Well since I'm on the second floor, let's hope it's not good enough to make me fall and break my face. 

Most fog machines heat glycol, glycerine, or mineral oil which creates a gas similar to fog or haze. Since it is heated, this gas usually stays near the ceiling. Maybe this is why they have a fan blowing, so the molecules cool and fall to the floor. Over time, the auditorium becomes filled with fog because more molecules are produced allowing the fog to completely fill the auditorium. It'll be fun trying to find the latter... Maybe this was purposely done so people can't see my face!

It's very reassuring to know this fog can become formaldehyde due to heat denaturation. Great. And if made incorrectly, these substances can be toxic! So don't try making these at home. Thanks for the anxiety http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingswork/a/smokemachines_3.htm.

Is it had that it feels harder to breathe...

Everybody come see Romeo and Juliette Rock Adaptation! See me play a solo if I don't pass out because of this fog before!

No comments:

Post a Comment