Friday, March 28, 2014

River of Mac 'n Cheese!

I'll explain later!

But first I should explain I got the idea for this post from Talisi's blog! She wrote about this article explaining how the Yellow River in China is turning pink from tofu water! It just bothers me how the Yellow River is pink. It sounds like a confused teenage who doesn't know who they are in life. Apparently steam heating stations used for making tofu dye the water pink so people don't think it's drinking water. This is why people should stop eating tofu all together! My friend told me they have tofurkey (tofu turkey). WHY.

Anyway, if you're wondering about the relevance of this post to chemistry, I'm vaguely touching on how harmful waste products react with water to make these pretty cool but depressing colors. Depressing meaning my reaction when I look at the Hudson River. Chemistry explains this will come back to hurt us later! But for now let's look at cool pictures.

A RED RIVER. C'MON MANKIND. This sounds like something from a horror movie! It's also unsettling to know most of these colored rivers are in China. They must really care for all of their people... I guess Crayola factories must be located in China. What factories aren't located in China. 

The Vermilion River which got this awesome color from pollution from a nickel mine. I'm really sorry mother nature... but in this case I'm happy you were polluted... This river is just so cool! 

The Yellow River now located in New Hampshire in Massachusetts, contaminated by pollution from textile, shoe, and paper mills. If this is the same deal as with yellow snow, stay away!
Lastly the River of Mac 'n Cheese! I've always had an obsession with Mac n' Cheese, and this river in Wales looks very similar to the color of my favorite Kraft food! Wow, if I swam in this river my life would be made. As long as I don't have health problems after. 

Well all of these chemicals in the ocean react with water to form new substances. Then when evaporation occurs, these pollution substances are changed into gases. When they condense, they become rain and fall back down to Earth as acid rain. An elementary school education is enough to know this! 

So moral of the story: dump stuff on Mother Nature, and Mother Nature will dump it right back on you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment